Perfect curls...from a flat iron? Yes, that's right, you didn't just read this wrong. This technique will create bouncy curls and a sexy beach wave...and now, after reading this, you can easily create this look at home.
First, and always, you'll want to protect your hair with a thermal spray, we love Abba's Pure Thermal Protect Spray.
Section off your hair so that it's easier to curl.
Now, smooth out the hair with the iron, grab at the plates, wrap your hair over and twist, and make sure your hair is locked between the two plates.
Once it is locked between the two, 'straighten' your hair down into a beautiful, wavy curl.
Shake out your hair and see if there are any spots you have missed. Spray some hair spray into your hair to add some more volume. Spray underneath and spray any fine, stray baby hairs.
What do you think? Will you try this technique for a wavy hair look?
We know Dolce & Gabbana is one of your favorite fragrance designers...that's why we wanted to let you in on how to get the hair look from Dolce & Gabbana's Spring/Summer 2013 hair look. Read on to get the gorgeous updo, a style that was light and loose and put emphasis on the brightly patterned scarves worn at the show in Milan. The inspiration behind the collection? A girl in the Sicilian islands, during summertime.
"The updo today is not really a twist, not a knot, and it's all about the scarf and working around the scarf. In my mind it's how a Sicilian woman would just quickly pin her hair up and then tie on a scarf. You can still see the hairline which is what keeps it from looking too severe, and there's a little bit of height but its not too exaggerated. It's a very light, summery look, taking some inspiration from the sixties with a little Riviera feeling, but it's not pastiched." -Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
Products You'll Need:
Redken aerate 08 bodifying cream mousse 2.3 oz
Create the Look:
- Apply aerate 08 all-over bodifying cream-mousse from roots to ends to create some volume with a little texture when you blow-dry.
- Blow-dry straight back so that there's no part.
- Tie on a silk headscarf folded about two inches thick, leaving about an inch of hair from the hairline, knotting scarf on the bottom to the side.
- Pin hair up into a "rough updo" that's almost a twist or a knot and works with the hair length and type, and pin with open fasteners.
Marc Jacobs entire beauty look was inspired by Edie-Sedgwick, the 1960's icon with big eyes and fair skin. Marc Jacobs makeup and hair was styled perfectly to capture the essence, with a teased, tousled ponytail and a deep side part.
"This is a styled-then-slept-in look: this girl had a glamourous hairstyle the night before, and this is it the moment she gets up the next day and is maybe walking down the street for a coffee. The height around the face which I created with my new fashion-week go-to product, Redken quick tease 15, is enough to highlight the face, but is not over-the-top Amy Winehouse height. In addition, a few of the models had their hair colored very blonde and black last night, creating a stronger, more graphic silhouette which compliments this collection."
-Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
Redken body full instant bodifier volumizing foam for baby fine hair
Rockhaholic Dirty Secrety Dry Shampoo
Redken headset 25 extra strength finishing spray maximum control
How to Get the Look:
- Apply a generous amount of volumizing foam from roots to ends and blow dry straight
- Create a deep left part that is not perfectly clean, but defined.
- Begin to create volume at the crown by holding up 2 inch sections of hair straight up and away from the head and spraying the first 3-4 inches at hair at roots with the finishing spray, backcombing. Hold section up for a few seconds as it dries and let fall, continuing on the next section and throughout the entire head for an all-over backcombed effect.
- Gather hair into a low ponytail at the base of the head, leaving the height on top and adding the Rockaholic dry shampoo aerosol hair powder/dry shampoo for extra matte texture.
- Pull a few wisps out of the final pony ensuring it doesn't look too "done."