Healthy Salty Snacks by David Pollock, Global Safe Beauty Expert
Every now and then you just want to snack on something salty. Everyone has those moments where they just NEED a pretzel or a potato chip or something else nice and salty. How can you satisfy that craving without throwing yourself entirely off track on your healthy eating plan?
Here is a few of my favorite salty snacks you can keep on-hand to get you through the day and keep you away from the drive-thru or vending machine:
1. Cucumber Chips: When I am craving the salty crunch of a potato chip, I reach for a cucumber instead. Slice it up and sprinkle the slices with some kosher or sea salt. You get the salt and the crunch without the fat and oils!
2. Hummus: use celery, cucumber, zucchini or carrots to scoop about ¼ cup of hummus. It’s a nice thick salty treat that will keep you feeling fuller longer and won’t end with you feeling guilty the way you do after raiding a bag of chips.
3. Popcorn: You read that correctly. Popcorn is actually VERY healthy if you manage to avoid the oils and butters that people normally drown it in. It is high in fiber, heart-smart and can have even more antioxidants than many fruits and vegetables. Keep it air-popped and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt and enjoy!
4. Olives: Grab a small handful of olives and go for it! They have been shown to help prevent heart disease, some kinds of cancer, reduce inflammation from arthritis and even help with asthma!
5. Edamame: Relax if you can’t pronounce it – it’s really just a fancy way of saying green soybeans that have been boiled. These are a wonderful source of protein, iron, calcium, fiber and some amazing anti-oxidants!
6. Mozzarella and tomatoes: The naturally occurring salt in an ounce of buffalo mozzarella is normally enough to satisfy even the deepest salt cravings. Pair it with the sweetness of a few cherry tomatoes and you’ve got yourself a healthy salty-sweet snack that feels wonderfully decadent.
7. Prosciutto: I wouldn’t recommend this one if you are pregnant or have a sensitive stomach. This ham is salt-cured and served uncooked. A slice or two will whip that craving without a problem. It’s also wonderful wrapped around your favorite fruit or veggie!
8. Almonds: Consumers have new reasons to enjoy almonds as researchers have recently announced that nuts not only taste good, but they're also good for you. Almonds are low in saturated fat and contain many other protective nutrients for strong bones, vitamin E and compounds called phytochemicals, which may lower cancer, help protect against cardiovascular disease, reduce heart attack risk and even cancer. About 20-25 almonds (approximately one ounce) contain as much calcium as 1/4 cup of milk! Yum!
There is no real need to feel guilty, salt is healthy and necessary for our bodies to function properly. The key is self-control. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are enjoying too much salt, you can dehydrate our bodies. Make sure you are drinking at least 64 oz. of purified water - every day, to flush out and hydrate our systems and to keep your body working just the way it should.
Remember – small changes are what make a real difference in your life over time. Replacing a bag of potato chips with one of these healthier tasty options can be an easy step towards a healthier, leaner you!